XML-L@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

XML-L Home

XML-L  July 1999

XML-L July 1999

Re: Networked catalog systems?

Lars Marius Garshol <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 28 Jul 1999 15:46:45 +0200

* Chris von See

| Does anyone know of a shareware/freeware or commercial system that
| would allow me to retrieve resources such as DTDs, external
| entities, namespaces, and stylesheets across a network by using
| their system identifier (or perhaps their public identifier, in the
| case of public DTDs) as a generic resource identifier rather than an
| explicit resource identifier?

I have an unreleased CORBA object which I use in my MSc thesis that
can resolve public identifiers. The interface is not really optimized
for networked use at the moment, but that would be easy to do.

| I'm trying to find a way to do versioning on these resources without
| having to change the documents I've created, and I want to be able
| to take the SI for these resources and transparently convert it to
| the "real" resource name.

Sounds like you'd rather want to use public identifiers, then, if you
can.

| I've seen the SYSTEM catalog entry in the SGML Entity Management
| document (TR 9401:1997), and I've seen the "remap" feature in John
| Cowan's XML Catalogs proposal, but I have yet to find a product that
| does what these documents describe across a network rather than
| using local catalogs.

The object I describe above uses the catalog implementation of the
xmlproc parser and implements this.

| Is this a reasonable thing to do?

I think so.

| If so, how can I do it?

Let me know that you want my catalog manager object and have me email
it to you. :)

Note that it is written in a mix of Java and Python and requires
JPython as well as xmlproc to be installed. This is significantly less
terrible than it sounds. :)

--Lars M.