Subject: Re: Notations/Entities (WAS: Re: Lookup Tables and DTDs)
From: Marcus Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Jul 1999 10:59:16 +1000

"John E. Simpson" wrote:

> Okay, I can see pretty much how it works. Nifty. My only qualm is about use
> of public identifiers in the entity declarations, which would seem to
> narrow the "it works" claim to the class of applications which know what to
> do with public IDs. Does it work just as well (or better :) using a SYSTEM
> identifier instead?

You could use a SYSTEM identifier; I used a PUBLIC because I generally do this
with SGML. With SGML, I believe it would attempt to resolve the SYSTEM identifier
to a resource, wouldn't it?

> And what, exactly (even approximately!), is *in* the "ENTITES for day
> parts" resources? Just entity declarations? attribute values, unadorned
> with any markup?

There is no resource - the PUBLIC identifier (in this case) acts similarly to
namespaces. It identifies a resource that exists in name only. What was shown in
the example was everything you need - there were no missing bits.

> Thanks for any help. Notations (especially with public IDs) have always
> been one of XML's most impenetrable black boxes for me.

I hope I'm not misquoting Rick Jelliffe - I credit him with clarifying this sort
of NOTATION use for me with the phrase "It's an attribute of an entity". If I am
misquoting and people think it's a clever reminder, I'll claim credit for it
myself. :-)

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  [log in to unmask]
       - Einstein