Subject: Re: XSL and Scripting
From: "G. Ken Holman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 6 Jul 1999 08:31:24 -0700

At 99/07/06 09:11 +0100, Mike Ball wrote:
>I am trying to get to grips with XSL transformations. I see that it is
>possible to include sections of scripting language (e.g. Javascript) within
>XSL by including them within a pair of <xsl:eval> tags.

Actually, <xsl:eval> is a construct in IE5's flavour of XSLT (XSL
Transformations), not the W3C flavour of XSLT.  The W3C flavour of XSLT has
an extension mechanism for scripting, though a stylesheet writer is advised
that including *any* scripting at all is non-portable, since an XSLT
processor is not obliged to implement any scripting, a stylesheet writer
should avoid resorting to it.

>Is it possible within these scripts to refer to the elements and attributes
>of the document you are transforming? If so - how do you do it?

There are many ways too numerous to answer in a simple email ... the best
answer is to look at the latest recommendation and choose some material to
read.

The latest recommendation is at:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-xslt-19990421

We have a number of XSL resources (non-commercial) and XSL teaching
materials (commercial) on our website (through the trailer below).  The
commercial publication "Introduction to XSL Transformations" is 200 pages
(so far) and all future updates are made freely available to those who
purchase a copy (thus extending your investment).

If you aren't interested in commercial materials, there is also:

Tutorials:

  http://www.hotwired.com/webmonkey/98/43/index2a.html?tw=xml
  http://www.xmlephant.com/pages/Learn_XML/Tutorials/

W3C Examples:

  http://www.xmlsoftware.com/articles/xsl-by-example.html
  http://www.xml.com/xml/pub/1999/04/holman/xsl.html

IE5 Examples:

  http://www.guy-murphy.easynet.co.uk/
  http://www.xml.com/xml/pub/1999/04/holman/xsl.html (same as above)

The above is not included in the set of resources listed on the reference
sites for each (I'm not sure what the criteria is for getting listed on the
W3C site, perhaps membership in W3C is required):

  http://www.w3.org/Style/XSL/#learn
  http://msdn.microsoft.com/xml/xslguide/default.asp

You will also find a wealth of examples (articles, papers, samples) at:

  http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/xsl.html (considered the best by many)
  http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/Languages/XSL/
  http://www.xmlephant.com/pages/Technologies/XSL/

When considering materials, be sure to establish which version of the
working draft is being refered to in each source ... not all resources are
up to date with the April 21 release of W3C XSL or the IE5 release of MSXSL.

There is also a mailling list for XSL you may wish to monitor:

It would be more appropriate to send queries to that list than to this list.

I hope this helps.

--
G. Ken Holman                    mailto:[log in to unmask]
Crane Softwrights Ltd.             http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/l/