XML-L July 1999

Re: Networked catalog systems?

Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 31 Jul 1999 09:36:53 +0100

> Thanks very much for the above info.  I can see where I would be able to
> use a public FPI server like yours or James Tauber's
> "www.schema.net/catalog" for public DTDs and entities, but what about
> namespace and stylesheet URIs?  I confess that I didn't explore the
> namespace spec in detail, but it appears to only allow namespaces to be
> identified using a URI in the "xmlns" attribute (or its prefixed
> equivalent), and the recent "Associating Style Sheets with XML Documents"
> recommendation uses a PI mechanism that likewise does not allow for public
> identifiers.  Can I replace the public identifier for your server with a
> namespace/stylesheet URI?

I'm afraid not: my server is for FPIs only. Namespace URIs you can just
use as they stand. The problem is that it's not always clear what a
namespace URI should resolve to: a text document? a description of the
namespace?  a list of valid GIs? or a DTD fragment? Until that becomes
machine-parsable, they are really only any use as labels to allow
humans to find out what the namespace refers to.

I agree that an FPI would be useful in a namespace declaration to
provide a degree of robustness and persistence until URNs fulfil that
promise, but as we've seen, providing FPI resolution is not without
problems.

///Peter