Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Re: portable field microscope
From: Gene Stoermer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 9 Jul 1999 00:10:34 -0400

On Thu, 8 Jul 1999, Eric Henry wrote:

> I also can testify to the quality of the Swift field microscope.  But I
> believe that the inverted design is a distinct advantage for any field
> microscope.  Rather than inverting the slide or using a very thin slide,
> it is best to use the slide upright.  Observing the specimen through the
> thickness of the slide is no problem for the 4X and 10X objectives, and
> Swift offers a long working-distance 40X for just this reason.  I have not
> had the opportunity to compare the resolution of the standard 40X with the
> LWD 40X, and it is possible that the LWD design brings some decrement in
> resolution, but the LWD 40X nevertheless is good enough to distinquish the
> eyespot in the zoospores of brown algae.
>
> Nikon used to make a field microscope, which I had the chance to try out
> about 20 years ago.  The optics were superb (it even had 100X
> oil-immersion), but the working distances were so short that the
> instrument was very difficult to use, and I would not want to have one.

> Dr. Eric C. Henry                               Tel:541-757-8159
> Department of Botany & Plant Pathology          Fax:541-737-4600
> Oregon State University
> Cordley Hall 2082
> Corvallis
> OR 97331-2902                                   email:[log in to unmask]
> U.S.A.
>
> "A marine biologist is never on holiday."
>
> --James Bond, in "The Spy Who Loved Me" (the movie)

> This message was sent to you because you are subscribed to ALGAE-L, a
> listserver list run by [log in to unmask]
> You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to
> [log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text.
> If you have further difficulty please contact the listowner.

        If you can find a Nikon field scope buy it! - or better yet, tell
me so I can buy it. A superior instrument in all regards. We have had one
for 30 years, and I have never seen anything with that degree of
"portability" that approaches its optical quality.

Eugene Stoermer, University of Michigan
Internet e-mail address:  [log in to unmask]
Voice Phone: 734-764-5238    Fax: 734-647-2748