Help for AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT Archives

AFRIK-IT@LISTSERV.HEANET.IE

AFRIK-IT Home

AFRIK-IT  July 1999

AFRIK-IT July 1999

ICTs poverty & development - GREAT paper

Don Richardson <[log in to unmask]>

Don Richardson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:02:28 -0400

Greetings,
This is the best academic paper I have seen on ICTs and development - a MUST
read.  In fact, the entire series of reports and the accompanying educators'
guides are top notch:

<snip>
A new online paper is available from the Institute for Development Policy
and Management, University of Manchester:
"ICTs, Poverty and Development"
It is the latest in a (small) series of reports on Development Informatics,
all of which are available from:
http://www.man.ac.uk/idpm/idpm_dp.htm#devinf_wp
<snip>

Some quotes to encourage people to take the time to read this one (on a
personal note, it is gratifying to see that there are still people out there
who are encouraging us to keep looking at a wider variety of media,
including the telephone and radio):

"First, failure has been downplayed. Yet estimates suggest that the majority
of ICT-based initiatives end in total failure of a system that never works;
partial failure in which major goals are unattained or in which there are
significant undesirable outcomes; sustainability failure that succeeds
initially but then fails after a year or so; or replication failure of a
pilot scheme that cannot be reproduced (Heeks & Davies 1999)."

"There are also more specific information system and technology opportunity
costs. "Radio covers approximately 75 per cent of Africa’s population and
television 40 percent. The Internet’s 0.1 per cent shows just how marginal a
medium it still is." (Panos 1998a:2).  These technologies have capacity,
interactivity and ownership limitations the new ICTs do not. However, in
access and coverage terms they beat ICTs hands-down now and for the
foreseeable future. The trouble is they are just not ‘sexy’ enough to
capture decision-makers’ attention. Even phones have slightly slipped down
the visibility league tables because of this."

"Yet the ‘ICT fetishists’ have so far been unable to demonstrate how
ICT-based information represents a more important resource than water, food,
land, shelter, production technology, money, skills or power in the
development process."

>A new online paper is available from the Institute for Development
>Policy and Management, University of Manchester:
>
>"ICTs, Poverty and Development"
>
>It is the latest in a (small) series of reports on Development
>Informatics, all of which are available from:
>http://www.man.ac.uk/idpm/idpm_dp.htm#devinf_wp
>
>All reports have online educators' guides with synopsis and
>development questions, allowing them to be used as training case
>studies and discussion papers, at:
>http://www.man.ac.uk/idpm/educdi.htm
>
>Feedback from trainers who use these guides would be welcome.
>
>IDPM training opportunities in computing and information systems can
>be found at:
>http://www.man.ac.uk/idpm/topicvue.htm#is
>
>Richard Heeks

>Dr Richard Heeks
>Senior Lecturer, Information Systems & Development
>Institute for Development Policy & Management
>University of Manchester
>Precinct Centre
>Manchester  M13 9GH  U.K.
>Phone: +44-161-275-2870  Fax: +44-161-273-8829
>Email: [log in to unmask]
>IDPM Web: http://www.man.ac.uk/idpm

Cheers,
Don Richardson
TeleCommons Development Group
512 Woolwich St., Guelph, Ontario, Canada N1H 3X7
Web: http://www.telecommons.com
Email: [log in to unmask]
Tel: 519-821-5787 x 241
Fax: 519-821-4868