AFRIK-IT July 1999

Re: West Africa

Tobias Eigen <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Jul 1999 14:28:32 +0100

Dear Jeff,
Dear friends on the AFRIK-IT list,

This is a follow-up to a conversation I had with Jeff a few months ago. I am
becoming increasingly involved in Nigeria, and would be grateful if I could
benefit from your experience. Did you report to the AFRIK-IT list? I may
have missed it! If there is a report you could share, I'd love it if you
could pass it my way.

The same goes for anyone on the AFRIK-IT list. We don't want to reinvent the
wheel.

Any ideas on the following?

1. We are thinking seriously about holding a training workshop in the north
for the 10 human rights groups involved in the OMCT (World Organisation
Against Torture - http://www.omct.org) internet capacity building project.
Any suggestions of where this could be held--good facilities, easy to reach,
reasonably well connected to the 'net?

2. Once again, we need to have an independent assessment of Nigerian ISPs,
mainly in Lagos but also in Kaduna, Port Harcourt, Abuja and Enugu. This is
primarily for access to Internet. The current feeling is that Linkserve
remains the most reliable ISP--even though trunk calls to Lagos are still
mostly required. Is this still true for the above towns?

3. We are in need of reliable computer/internet trainers. Have you had luck
with any particular companies or people that you would recommend?

4. We are in need of a good computer supplier. TASK systems, who supplied
the PCs for this stage of the OMCT project, have been very disappointing. We
don't want to fall into the rut of importing the goods ourselves at the
expense of after-sales service.

5. Advice on web resources useful to Nigerian civil society organisations
would be appreciated. This both in Nigeria and internationally.

Any comments are much appreciated!

Best wishes,

Tobias

Tobias Eigen