Help for UILLEANN Archives

UILLEANN Archives

Subject: Nominative/genitive was A translation question.......
From: Lachlan Whalen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Jun 1999 12:15:10 -0500 (CDT)

A chairde,
	I had a question from someone & thought I would post my reply
seperately to the list as a whole.
	"Na" is the plural form of the definite article (the) for all
cases of nouns in Irish (nominative, dative, genitive). However, the
effect that this article has varies with the case.
	In the nominative case, it causes "h" to be prefixed before vowels
(provection or sandhi h) and does not affect the consonants.
		na ballai/ (the walls)  na hoifigi/ (the offices)

	In the genitive case, the article causes uru/.
		na mballai/  (of the walls)	na n-oifigi/ (of the
offices)
	Note that the genitive form on its own does not imply the definite
article. "Ballai/" used in genitive fashion without "na" means "of walls,"
as "piobairi/" used genitively without the article would mean "of pipers"
(not "of the pipers" which would be "na bpiobairi/"). Have I done all your
heads in yet?
		Sla/n is beir bua,
		Lachlan