Re: Inktraps (Re : Another Consideration in Digitizing Typefaces)

"Hrant H. Papazian" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:12:20 -0700

Rodolfo Capeto wrote:
> Where may I see L. Mandel's work?

Here's what I did:
http://cdi.ucla.edu/~hrant/mandel.gif

It's a superimposition of two images scanned
from the RIDT98 piece on Mandel & Southall's
USWestDex "Colorado" phone book type project.

The outline was given by Mandel to Southall,
whereas the grey is an actual end result glyph.
Note that this latter is twice removed from
the original, but I assume that the scan in
the book was of good quality, and I know that
mine was (1200 x 2, AGFA).

Observe:
1. The disparition of the top-right light trap
   on the inside of the loop, resulting in a
   nice squared-oval whitespace.
2. The even-ing out of the strangely shaped top
   stroke of the loop. I don't even know what
   to call that!
3. The pronounced filling-in of the bottom-right trap.
4. The softening of the bottom-right thorn as well as
   the bottom one at the end of the top stroke.
5. The total smoothing-out of the top-left obtuse angle.

As you can see, light traps and thorns
were *critical* to this project.

hhp