Subject: Re: Palatino
From: Stacy Westbrook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 5 Jun 1999 09:51:46 -0700

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> That's because you don't understand my point.

I understand your point, and I understand Maxim's point.

To answer your initial question: I don't care if swash caps are made for
Palatino.  I'm not really interested in typeface revival, myself.  Other
people are, and that's just lovely.  Some nice work has been made that
way.

I think that the response you have seen here is a concern for the rights
(or lack thereof) of type designers in respect to their designs.  I also
think that the kinds of responses have been consonant with your own
reaction to the initial message regarding Mr. Zapf's position on Palatino.
You took it a little personally when someone mentioned that you might want
to ask Zapf before redrawing and digitizing Palatino.  It was a legitimate
concern, I think, but the discussion shortly turned nasty.

Basically, you'll do what you'll do.  People may or may not care.  If
*you* would just like to have a nice set of swash caps for Palatino, then
go for it.  If you want to market it, then you might want to rethink that.

Stacy