Subject: Re: Palatino
From: Stacy Westbrook <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 5 Jun 1999 09:51:46 -0700

On Sat, 5 Jun 1999, Michael Scarpitti wrote:

> That's because you don't understand my point.

I understand your point, and I understand Maxim's point.

To answer your initial question: I don't care if swash caps are made for
Palatino.  I'm not really interested in typeface revival, myself.  Other
people are, and that's just lovely.  Some nice work has been made that

I think that the response you have seen here is a concern for the rights
(or lack thereof) of type designers in respect to their designs.  I also
think that the kinds of responses have been consonant with your own
reaction to the initial message regarding Mr. Zapf's position on Palatino.
You took it a little personally when someone mentioned that you might want
to ask Zapf before redrawing and digitizing Palatino.  It was a legitimate
concern, I think, but the discussion shortly turned nasty.

Basically, you'll do what you'll do.  People may or may not care.  If
*you* would just like to have a nice set of swash caps for Palatino, then
go for it.  If you want to market it, then you might want to rethink that.