Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

From: "maher, johnpeter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:00:00 -0500

A chairde
Carissimi amici

Indeed there is Celtic toponomastic material in northern italy, but I doubt that such is involved here.

<Luimneach> means 'bare place', no?

The Italian toponym, on further investigation, might be a derivative of Italian <lumaca> 'snail'. Check into the extensions in toponymics of <in~ign> and <acc->.  Keine Wortsforschung ohne Sachforschung --- Meringer.

j p maher