AFRIK-IT June 1999

Re: Various Virus Alerts

William Lester <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:05:49 -0400

I don't know about WOBBLER, but the "Win a Holiday" virus is a hoax. Check out:

http://www.nai.com/services/support/hoax/win_holiday.asp

Bill Lester [AVSC]

William A. Lester
Senior Director of Technology
AVSC International
440 Ninth Avenue
New York, NY 10001
(O) 212.561.8002   (F) 305.489.6286
mail: [log in to unmask] url: www.avsc.org
"The Sun Never Sets On Our AVSC Empire"

>>> Thandi Mbvundula <[log in to unmask]> 06/29/99 08:29AM >>>
Dear All

I have received two different virus alerts from 2 different sources today. I
run two email servers and need to inform my clients in advance of any virus
warnings I receive. Please could someone validate the authenticity of these
two
messages.

The first warning I received was regarding a WOBBLER virus. The text is as
follows:
-----------------------
"WARNING:  If you receive an email with a file called "California",
do not open the file. The file contains the WOBBLER virus.

This information was announced yesterday morning from IBM;

AOL states that this is a very dangerous virus, much worse than "Melissa",
and
there is NO remedy for it at this time. Some very sick individual has
succeeded
in using the reformat function from Norton Utilities causing it to completely
erase all documents on the hard drive. It has been designed to work with
Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer. It destroys Macintosh and
IBM compatible computers. This is a new, very malicious virus and not many
people know about it. Pass this warning along to EVERYONE in your address book
and  please share it with all your online friends ASAP so that this threat may
be  stopped.
-------------------------The second warning I received was as follows:
=============
This is VERY serious.  Microsoft have advised and they know.  If you
receive an
e-mail titled

"PLEASE HELP POOR DOG. Win a  Holiday"  DO NOT OPEN IT!!

It will erase everything on your hard drive. This is a new, very malicious
virus and not many people know about it. This information was announced
yesterday morning from Microsoft. Please share it with everyone who might
access the Internet.
=============

Thandi Mbvundula

Thandi Mbvundula
Managing Partner
Epsilon & Omega
P O Box 31125
Lilongwe 3
Malawi

Tel: +265-784444
Fax: +265-781231
Email: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]