AFRIK-IT June 1999

Re: Highway Africa 99

Emmanuel NJENGA <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:59:17 +0200

Hello all,

Please do not open the attachment sent with this e-mail :

See virus warning below:

Regards,

Njenga

--------------
- Forwarded Message Follows -------
Send reply to:          [log in to unmask]
Date sent:              Fri, 11 Jun 1999 11:30:08 -0600
To:                     [log in to unmask]
From:                   Joan Sotkin <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                [Datacom] The E-Commerce Advisor -- Virus Warning

Hi Everyone,

As you know, I have never sent out any extra e-mails to the
E-Commerce Advisor List. But the virus mentioned below,
is serious enough for me to send this.

A new email virus has just hit the net, and this one is for
real.  Go here for more information:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/worm.explore.zip.html

As always, NEVER open a file attached to an email message unless
a: you are absolutely sure you know what it is, or
b: you have scanned it with an UP TO DATE antivirus program or
have such a program currently running on your system and set to
scan all incoming files.  This applies EVEN IF it appears to come from a
trusted friend.

Also, please remember to NOT pass along virus warnings unless
they contain links to official information, such as the link
above, as most are hoaxes.  If you receive a warning and you are
not sure whether it is a hoax or not, you can find out here:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html

Or, just go to your favorite search engine and do a search for
"virus hoaxes" or for the name of the virus given in the
warning.  Everyone on the Internet will appreciate you for taking
a few moments to check out a warning before sending it on to
everyone in your address book.

Joan Sotkin

 -----------------

An excerpt from Symantec's web page:

Virus Name: Worm.ExploreZip Aliases: W32.ExploreZip Worm
Infection Length: 210,432 bytes Area of Infection: Windows System
directory, Email Attachments Likelihood: Common Detected as of:
June 6, 1999 Characteristics: Worm, Trojan Horse

Overview: Worm.ExploreZip contains a very malicious payload.
Worm.ExploreZip utilizes Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, and
Microsoft Exchange to mail itself out by replying to unread
messages in your Inbox. The payload of the worm will destroy any
file with the extension .h, .c, .cpp, .asm, .doc, .ppt, or .xls
on your hard drive(s), as well as any mapped drives, each time it
is executed. The worm will also search the mapped drives for
Windows installations and copy itself to the Windows directory,
and then modify the WIN.INI file. This will infect systems
without e-mail clients. This continues to occur until the worm is
removed.

You may receive this worm as a file attachment named
"zipped_files.exe". When run, this executable will copy itself to
your Windows System directory with the filename "Explore.exe", or
your Windows directory with the filename "_setup.exe". The worm
modifies your WIN.INI or registry such that the "Explore.exe"
file is executed each time you start Windows.

Worm.ExploreZip was first discovered in Israel and submitted to
the Symantec AntiVirus Research Center on June 6, 1999.