Subject: Re: question
From: Gunnar Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 21 May 1999 18:15:53 -0700

You may be doing something different but that may be because you are no
longer a typesetter. As a designer I think the computer has changed my
approach to type in many ways but neither how type defines or is defined by
space nor how the page size is decided.

Gunnar

>Gunnar,
>
>Although we certainly had specs to follow -- outside parameters within
>which to fit the typeset project; graphics around which we had to wrap
>type, etc. -- the approach was to set line lengths and leading, as well as
>font style and size, to build the project from the "inside out," and
>to constantly adjust these to fill the required area. With desktop
>publishing, however, document size is set from the beginning, and the
>approach to setting type feels much more constrained to me, like "pasting
>up" the type to fit into the predetermined space. One could say that the
>outcomes are essentially the same, and I suppose that's true, but the
>desktop approach (after the typehouses began to switch over, I worked
>first with Pagemaker and then Quark, which was better where spacing and
>kerning issues were concerned) just feels more restrictive, and plans
>that would have worked on a Compugraphic went awry on a Mac. When I left
>the field about 10 years ago and laser printers were replacing
>emulsion-based back ends, there were also some significant margin-related
>complications. Hopefully, things have improved since then! I still have
>margin problems on my new (old) Apple 4/600 laser printer that I can't
>figure out.
>
>Amy
>

>On Thu, 20 May 1999, Gunnar Swanson wrote:
>
>> Amy,
>> >The switch from traditional typography to desktop publishing turned the
>> >whole deal bass-ackwards. Before, the type defined the space; after, the
>> >space was defined first and the type had to be fit into it.
>>
>> Would you explain this?

Gunnar Swanson Design Office
1404 Claremont Drive
Davis CA 95616