Subject: Re: If Johnny can't read, spell, or write ... thank a teacher <:-S
From: ibbetson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 17 May 1999 15:09:13 -0400

At 10:15 17-05-99 -0400, Michael Brady wrote:

>To be a pedant-o-phile: there is no accusative case in English--that's
found in
>Latin and Greek, and English has little Latin and less Greek, regardless
of what
>the classicists tried to find a century ago.
>
>A pronoun after a proposition is said to be in the objective case, as it is
>after a transitive verb. Only English pronouns exhibit syntactic case, and
>pronouns only exhibit the nominative and objective cases. English morphology
>only shows number in nouns and verbs, tense in verbs, comparison in
adjectives
>and adverbs, genitive case in nouns and pronouns, and nominative and
objective
>case in pronouns.

Well, I would describe "him", "her", and "them" as accusative. In my view a
noun or pronoun doesn't to have a distinct form to be in a particular case.

But this argument tends to generate more heat than light.

David Ib

David Ibbetson                          Phone 416 363 6692
133 Wilton Street, Unit 506             Fax   416 363 4987
Toronto, Ontario, Canada,  M5A 4A4      [log in to unmask]