Subject: Re: Loose extenders, light color,and a warm place to read (was RE : S haw's Shoice)
From: "Nguyen, Phan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 May 1999 17:04:36 -0700

> Yes. I'm not saying "the lighter the better"; there are limits.
> I'm saying that a good text face needs to be lighter than you might
> think. References: TNR is too light, but only slightly. Plantin is
> a little too dark; and a little too wide. But otherwise it's a
> man among boys.

Okay, so we agree.

> > I'm inclined to think (without any research to back this up)
> > that generous extenders actually destroy the bouma shape.
>
> Huh?
> Forget research (which I myself have been doing), just
> use "thought": a bouma's information is contained first
> and foremost in its protrusions; by definition.

True, but the bouma shape is generated from a cohesive 'magnetic field'
around the letters. The bouma becomes apparent because the letters are close
to one another. When an ascender is too long, it breaks up this cohesive
field.

If I had time I'd illustrate an example.

> As for x-heights, the only time they should be somewhat big
> is for very small text, where legibility -as opposed to
> the generally more relevant readability- is important.

I think the average text size in use today is small enough to warrant a
happy x-height. Not to the extreme of Plantin, necessarily.

> > x-heights of early ITC faces don't work is because they're too wide.
>
> But even the narrow versions are hard to read.

Well, we can blame that on ITC.