Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Do\igh-labhairt (Pronounciation)
From: Tris King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 8 May 1999 14:13:01 +0000

Tom Thomson wrote:

> > Caol+nn:
> > 1.  Rinn...  "nice" no "ring"?
> > 2.  Faighinn... "nice" no "ring"?
> > 3.  Bhithinn... "nice" no "ring"?
> > 4.  Seinn...  "nice" no "ring"?
> > 5.  Againn... "nice" no "ring"?
> > 6.  Mu dheidhinn... "nice" no "ring"?
> > 7.  Faicinn...  "nice" no "ring"?
>
> This sound can't occur at the end of a word in English.  It's like the "ne" in the British pronunciation of
> "neutral" (not in the American pronunciation of it) or the "ny" in "vinyard", or like gn between two
> vowels in Italian.

I echo Micheal's view of this -- what he describes above is what I've
been using, and what I teach to my beginner's classes: "nn" following a
slender noun being a subdued sort of "n" with a tilde, which we
Californians, exposed to Spanish all around, can most easily relate to.
I suggest to the students that at the end of a word such as "faicinn",
they start by making the "nyeh" sound that one might make in "Senor",
and then drop the "-eh", leaving simply the closed down "ny" sound,
(similar to what Micheal describes above) made with the tip of the
tongue flattened against the roof of the mouth, just behind the junction
of the palate and upper incisor teeth.  .

With broad vowels and "nn", we approach them thusly:

1) "-ann" will be a major league diphthong: "-AH-oon" -- and the same
with "-ionn": -ee-OON";

2) And "nn" (with broad vowels) can be pronounced with the tongue tip
touching the back of the upper incisor teeth, or completely protruding
through the teeth.  Watch Rhoda MacDonald pronounce the name "Anna" --
"AH-oo-na" -- in the first video of SOL.  Her tongue fires right between
her teeth on the double nn, tapping the underside of her upper incisors
with the topside tip of her tongue.  Where English speakers would put
the tongue tip somewhere on the hard palate above the teeth to say "nn",
Rhoda snakes her tongue out between her teeth, curling it up to touch
the bottom of her upper teeth on the "nn" sound, like a lizard trying to
snatch a beetle off an overhead rock.

She repeats this practice with other "nn" words (next to broad vowels)
elsewhere in the series.

Ti\oraidh,

Toirstean