Subject: Re: Shaw's Shoice
From: Travis Wall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 6 May 1999 15:17:26 -0600

> I was just thinking as I read all those replies -- I can't think of the
> last time I saw Caslon. Does anyone use it anymore?

    I handed a few term papers in using Caslon
    but I can't say that I've ever seen used

> It seems to me that Garamond and other "French" humanist forms have almost
> completely taken over from Caslon.

> What do people think? Why has Caslon fallen out of favor? Is it still
> basically a good text face, or is it irremedially old-fashioned?

    It seems a bit light and, well, 'thorny' to me.
    There has been a trend to the softer and
    smoother forms of the 'French' humanist
    styles (interesting nomenclature). Beyond
    that I don't know that there's much of a
    problem with it (I sort of like it, and my
    professor didn't complain [if I recall]) I
    think its just a matter of designers
    choosing more '90s faces than any problem
    with the face itself.

Travis Wall, Graphic Designer
Defiance Visual Industries

A statistician drowned last week,