Re: Christian advances

Jacquelyn Kestner <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 29 May 1999 12:45:19 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Gil Hardwick <[log in to unmask]>
> I don't believe any of this. You say you have a University degree?
>
> You're intelligent enough to achieve that, yet you can't figure the most
> basic approach to thinking and answering questions? A coursework degree
> out of some Amurkan mail-order catalogue, is it?

I have no idea what "amurkan" is supposed to be, but I obtained my MSc (with
Distinction-I'm not entirely sure what that means, but apparantly its
supposed to be good) from the University of Edinburgh in Celtic Studies----I
know you haven't bothered to look at my email address, the fact you have
consistently misspelled my name gave that away, but if you did you'd see
"msccelt" and I have referenced studying in Edinburgh several times on list.
At this time, the Celtic Studies department doesn't offer a distance
learning program---which is what I assume you meant by "mail-order"
catalogue. I will add, since this entire discussion has devolved into
personal attacks, that the Celtic department at Edinburgh is a fully
accepted part of the university---interestingly, it was founded after the
revival movement of 1874---unlike other institutions mentioned recently.
The department is well respected and well established, as I have discovered
when scholars at other univerisities discuss the program. I have been
accepted into the PhD program-I'm scheduled to begin in October,  assuming I
get the cash (anyone wanting to throw out money can send some my way)--at
the University of Aberdeen (also known as King's College). I chose to study
in Scotland because I wanted access to Celtic language populations--I had
orginally planned on studying at each level in a different traditionaly
Celtic country, but chose instead to study with the leading authority in my
field. How could I possibly determine "Celtic" traits if I'd never spent
anytime with "Celtic" populations! How could I return to the NC and say
"this trait is Celtic" if I didn't know what Celtic was to start out with---
-or simply accepted that everyone who called self-identitied as a "Celt" did
in fact possess elements of Celtic culture. (Good gracious, how could I know
what being "more Irish than the Irish" meant if I didn't know people from
Ireland! In the US that would mean I thought "corn beef and cabbage" was the
national food of Ireland---oh, and that people all over Ireland painted
themselves green and wore Shamrock shaped sun glasses on March 17.)

Also, I'd like to address your comments to Pamela. You critize her for
discussing satanists (apparanlty we can discuss Christians, and all the
numerous atrocities commited by them, but not the acts of any other
religion---nope, no bias there), yet you repeatedly denigrade Americans,
Germans, English,  Scots (those bog people) and Canadians. To turn your
attack on me back to you, you have the intelligence to obtain your degree,
but don't have the ability to follow simple logic. If Pamela can't make
statements about one population, then you can't make comments about other
populations.

Next, you have repeatedly indicated how foolish all the list members
are......well, to quote from from the great Film-maker, "Who is the more
foolish? The fool or the fool who follows the fool?" If we are all so
stupid, so foolish, so inept, why bother with us? (Personally, I have made
no great claim about my intelligence. I have repeatedly indicated that
people such as Mike, Neil and Gerald are The Experts. They live what I can
only study.) That fact you take time from your busy day to read the writings
of the un-intelligent, does not speak well of your intellect.

You know, that fact that I have taken the time to even dignify some of this
drivel with a response doesn't speak well for my intelligence. I have to
say, moments like these really remind me of certian truths. A  wiseman
wrote, "Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will be like him
yourself." So either I'm a fool and Gil is becoming like me; or he is, and I
become like him. Either way, the cycle ends now. I won't play the game
anymore. Gil, please put me in your kill-file. I beg you, put me in the
kill-file and put me out of my misery.

> Nah! You're having a lend of me, sweetheart . . .
>
> Get a life, eh?

Oh, now there's a purely academic response.