Re: Celtic blood!-- Please don't!!!

Mike Hayman <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 8 May 1999 18:45:24 -0500

Pure coincidence or selective memory. Yes, there are dominant genes and
recessive genes and I seem to remember hair and eye color as having dominant
and recessive qualities but I really think you would have difficulty in
saying that any one Caucasian in the US has dominantly "Celtic" blood or
genetic material. We all stem from the same branch pretty far back and the
graftings of new material is thoroughly mixed up.  Even as far back as the
early Iron Age Tuatha De Danaan, perhaps the original "Celtic" people of
Ireland, were conquering or being conquered by some other ethnic group if
not bloodline and amalgamating with the previous owners of the land.   Just
who the hell were Formorians, Cruthni and Melisians anyway.  In your case
the two blood lines you claim heritage to are so intermixed since the year
600 AD as to be hardly distinguishable.  What exactly is the characteristics
that you deem so Celtic and not Scandinavian/Germanic?

Personally I find any attempt to define oneself in terms of "blood" to be
quite repugnant.  You didn't actually do this here but I remember to many
stupid debates about "who might be a Celt or not, to not comment this time.
Celtic identity to me is culture.  If an Australian Aboriginal decided to
call himself a Celt, learned Gaelic and generally immersed himself into
"Celtic" culture he would as far I care would be one as much as anyone could
wish to be (Modern Europeans are no longer Celtic any more than French or
Italians are Roman (or Celtic for that matter) and that includes Ireland and
Scotland--even these enclaves have not endured 1200 years of isolation from
external cultural and genetic influences.  Those cultures/bloodlines evolved
when the Vikings and other groups stomped all over the north bringing new
influences culturally and genetically and the amalgamation became more
regional-read national-- in characteristics.  Throw on top of it
Christianity and its schisms and religious wars and I find the whole idea of
defining oneself as a Celt either culturally or genetically to be damned
absurd.   Hence I am an American with the blood of Welsh, Scots-Irish,
Germans, Anglo-Saxon, Danes, Swedes and Old Magog's second cousin running in
my veins (wait--Halstatt--oh yeah they are Celts too weren't they?  is that
before the hairy Germans or after or simultaneous?).  Hell, throw in a bit
of Spaniard (Celts, Latins from France and Italy (or were they Celts--hmm I
remember Rome being sacked by a Gaul or two--Rapine behaviour must have
followed), Moors, Displaced Irish and Scotsmen, maybe a Turk or two (whoops,
may be a Celt there too-damn raiding Galatians--and were not blonde women
the most prized in the harem--wonder where they came from?  must have been
those Muslims in Albania,)  and since my family grew up in the south there
may well be some African blood from Nigeria or Senegal there too)  Did I
tell you I am an heir to the Spanish throne from some 17th century offshoot!

 It just aint that easy, and why should we care even if we could figure out
our bloodline.  Live in the now.  Define yourself by your actions and
beliefs today.  Knowledge of history is very important but your genetic
heritage is only important if you have some propensity for disease you wish
to treat and it probably only good for a few generations or so, the colour
of your eyes or shape of your chin have no concern even if you can trace it
back .  For everything else it is pure rationalization.  Don't open this can
o'worms.  It doesn't make you a better person.  Only you-not your genetic
heritage-can do that.

Michael Hayman
Celtic and Medieval Jeweler
http://haymancelticjewelry.com