AFRIK-IT May 1999

ICTs that work...and don't

David Lush <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 22 May 1999 18:43:09 +0200

Greetings.

Firstly, thank you to everyone who got back to me during my search for
information on ICTs and Development in southern Africa. With your
permission, I would like to tap further the expertise available through
Afrik-IT for the study that I am co-ordinating for the Panos Institute.

In the study, we would like to include a number of case studies of
real-life situations where ICTs have BENEFITED politically and/or
economically marginalised people in the SADC region.

We also want to look at case studies where ICT's have FAILED to bring about
such development, and in so doing, try to pin-point why they have failed in
these particular cases.

We hope the case studies will serve as a reality check on the theory and
rhetoric that seems to be driving the ICT debate in southern Africa. In so
doing, we hope to give a real-life, "grassroots" perspective on policy and
technological trends.

So please e-mail me ([log in to unmask]) with suggestions of case
studies you think we should profile in the study. In your message, please
include:

* A very brief description of each of the case studies you think it would
be worth profiling
* How you think ICT's have OR haven't benefited politically and/or
economically marginalised people in each case
* Details of where each case study is situated (country, region and
town/village/district)
* If possible, the contact details of people involved in the case studies,
or suggestions as to how we can get in touch with them.

Please remember, we are only interested in case studies in countries that
make up SADC (Angola, Botswana, DRC, Lesotho, Malawi, Mauritius,
Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia,
Zimbabwe).

When published (on-line and in print), the study will target the region's
decision and policy makers, regulators, those in the ICT industry, and
others working in the field.

Thank you in advance for your input.

David Lush
Freelance Journalist
PO Box 8828, Bachbrecht, Windhoek, Namibia
Tel. +264 61 252946
e-mail: [log in to unmask]