Subject: Re: The Great Debate
From: Neil McEwan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:42:50 -0300

At 02:56 PM 4/20/99 +1000, mike brown wrote:

>Neil wrote:

>>   We're not talking about her at the moment tho', are we?  Whether or not
>>Thatcher is evil has no bearing on our behaviour.

>No, we're not talking about Thatcher atm, but I was specifically referring
>to Thatcher to demonstrate the point about who determines 'reasonableness'.
>Doesn't it depend on which side of the fence you sit, rather than some
>absolute notion of what is reasonable or not?

   If it did, wouldn't that mean that to an Englishman Thatcher is just as
reliable a source of opinion on Wales as you are?  And if that's true, if
Welshmen and Englishmen and everybody else is trapped inside little
self-enclosed bubbles of their own, how can they talk to each other, how
can progress of any kind be made?

>>   You say that as if it is surprising.  The majority of people in Ireland
>>however would say the same thing.
>
>The majority of people in Wales didn't vote Green, Plaid Cymru, Tory or for
>that matter, Labour - does that mean that every political party there
>acts unreasonably and espouses unbalanced policies?

   No, but Sinn Fein -- and most of the other parties in Northern Ireland,
unfortunately -- are not easily compared to the parties in normal places.

Neil