Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: ALGAE-L: Attachments again and web pages
From: Mike Guiry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:56:38 +0100

Dear members of algae-l:

I have had a number of e-mails from members pointing out that most lists do
not allow attachments.  These letters have convinced me that we should not
allow attachments as a matter of policy as some of our subscribers have
limited disk space and other have modems that can only deal with these
attachments very slowly and can thus be very costly in terms of telephone
bills.

I myself had to download 173 error messages with that very large gif
my own machine all day.

So, please, no more attachments.  If you want people to look at your
images, put the picture (as a jpeg) on a site somewhere and give the http
address.

Some other news:

I have rewritten the algae-l web page at

http://seaweed.nuigalway.ie/algae-l/

and I have also included new links to the listserver so that you can search
a database of all messages posted to the list since 1995. You can also
carry out subscribing and unsubscribing easily from this site.

I am rather surprised how few people use our search facilities that include
almost all of the papers published in Botanica marina, British/European
Journal of Phycology,  Journal of Phycology, Phycologia, and Proceedings of
the International Seaweed Symposia; there is also a database of 19,000
mostly taxonomic references on algae with a rich store of pre-1900
literature.  This is a bit seaweed-oriented.

You can find the various databases at:

http://seaweed.nuigalway.ie/search/

Many thanks to all those who wrote and commented. I have not had the time
to respond to all of you individually.

Mike.

This message was sent to you because you are subscribed to ALGAE-L, a listserver list run by [log in to unmask]  You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to [log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text.  If you have further difficulty contact the listowner.