Subject: Re: Not really a type question...
From: Gary Munch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 17 Apr 1999 00:41:48 -0400

>At 11:18 AM 4/16/99 -0700, Stacy Westbrook wrote:
>>My feeling is that we don't need permission, since the work is for
>>personal use.  I liken it to making photocopies of a book; as long as it
>>is for personal use, you can make copies without getting permission.
>
>Not so much personal use as "fair use", explicitly provided for in
>copyright law for just such things as class use.

But this is a Trademark. That's a different set of rules. There's no way to
use an exerpt of a logo or emblem, in a comparable way as with a text or
image. Remember too that fair use is a varable thing, but usually doesn't
allow for the copying and distribution of entire works (books, songs, etc)
but rather in the sense of a quote in a review  or reference; but samples
of music used in other works are routinely screened for copyrights before
being incorporated into new songs or soundtracks.

>On the one hand, if I read you correctly, you are not representing the
>company, you are "merely" changing its logo. And what he doesn't know won't
>hurt him. On the other hand, if you want to avoid pissing him off, this is
>as good a place as any: pick a different logo.

Exactly. Why risk the alienating of a potential client (or anyone for that
matter) when there are scadzillions of logos in need of an update?
>"I'm a biologist, Jim, not a lawyer!"
Right. Everyone should be assigned a lawyer at birth.

Gary