Help for IRTRAD-L Archives

IRTRAD-L Archives

Subject: Re: Wooden head joint for Boehm System flute
From: Jeffrey Erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:12:28 -0400

        John raises good points.  Which is why I prefaced my note by saying "With
all due respect. . ."  Obviously a fair amount of respect is due here.  And
surely it would be preferable to hear a great player on a silver flute (or
a stainless steel one, or a graphite one, or a balsa one) as opposed to a
middling player on the best wooden flute ever made.  But whenever I've
heard a silver flute, I've wished the player was playing a wooden one.
There is that Certain Something lacking in its sound, its heart. . .

>With all due respect to yourself, Jeffrey, please keep in mind that to make
>the decision to play a silver flute 15-20 years ago (which is when Joanie
>Madden, Mary Rafferty and many of the other silver-flute "greats" took up
>the instrument) was not the same as making that decision today. [...]

        Yours for the rough, the unpolished, the earthy in trad. music. . .
        Jeffrey