Subject: Re: The Great Debate
From: Gil Hardwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 14 Apr 1999 22:27:58 PDT

Mike wrote:

> I think it this aspect of being Welsh/Celtic which gets me into trouble with
> my Saxon friends. I have a very good English friend over here in Australia
> who can't understand why I feel so alien to his English mindset - we're the
<snip>

Ah, but I have an affinity with Mich(k)aels. My eldest son is Graeme, and my second Michael.

I have just come home from a meeting of a steering committee to form an Historical Society
here, and discussion with a bloke whose great grandmother was sent out here from Ireland
in 1851, in a Bride Ship. He had become stuck in his mind (happens when your people are
beaten for not speaking English) on how she was able to do such beautiful needlework and
make such beautiful lace, yet unable to read or write.

Once we explained how she came to be on the Bride Ship, that she was a speaker of Gaelic
who carried the patterns in the rhythm of her native tongue, the man wept.

We get that a lot here. There is a lot of real mourning yet to be done . . .

Gil