Help for ALGAE-L Archives

ALGAE-L Archives

Subject: Lectureships
From: John Berges <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Apr 1999 18:37:48 +0100

I'd like to ask your help in spreading the word to anyone
who might be interested.  There follows a rather vaguely
worded add from our School.  Categories aside, the bottom
line is that we are after good people.  I know we are
fighting Belfast's (in my opinion undeservedly) bad
reputation.  I'd be happy to have my name and email given
as a point of informal (and not too badly biased) contact.

The Queen's University of Belfast
Investing in Excellence
As part of a major programme of expansion, the University
is supporting the School of Biology and Biochemistry with a
major investment of posts to enhance its research and
teaching activities. The School wishes to appoint people
with a record of publications in quality, peer-reviewed
journals, commensurate with age and experience. It is also
looking for a lively and innovative teaching capability as
part of the University's policy of balanced excellence.

2 Year Fixed Term Lectureship in Molecular Ecology and
Evolution, Ref: 99/P142C
Preferably with interests in Population Genetics, Eukaryote Genetics or Molecular Evolution

Three Lectureships (Ref: 99/P141C)
Applications are invited from individuals with strong
research records and preferably, with some experience in
tertiary level teaching in the following areas:

Behaviour / Ecology
Preferably with interests in Animal Behaviour, Animal
Ecology/Conservation Biology, Ecological Modelling, or
Physiology/Ecology of Aquatic Animals

Biochemistry
Preferably with interests in Molecular
Recognition/Structure Prediction, Molecular Enzymology,
Neurochemistry, or Signal Transduction

Genetics/Molecular Biology
Preferably with interests in Behavioural Genetics,
Microbial Biotechnology, Molecular Biology of Infectious
Diseases, Molecular Evolution/Bioinformatics

Applicants must have an honours degree or equivalent in
Biological Sciences or related discipline and a PhD in a
relevant area together with a good track record of
publications in premier scientific journals. Potential to
obtain external funding and lead a team of researchers
having impact nationally and internationally is essential
for the three lectureships. The successful applicant for
the fixed term lectureship must be able to contribute to
lectures and practicals, and to supervise final year
projects in the areas of population genetics, eukaryote
genetics and molecular evolution.

Successful candidates will be expected to develop
independent research programmes complementing and
collaborating with other members of the School of Biology
and Biochemistry and the wider research community at
Queen's and establishing strong national and international
links. The successful candidates must also be committed to
research-led teaching and preferably have some experience
of lecturing and/or practical demonstration and/or
supervision of student projects. Postdoctoral experience
and a proven ability to acquire external funds are also
desirable.

Informal enquiries may be made to the School Office, Tel:
00 44 1232 335786 or email: [log in to unmask] Further
information about the School can be obtained on its Home
Web page: http://www.qub.ac.uk/bb

Closing date: 5.00 pm, Friday 14 May 1999.

Further particulars quoting reference number(s) are
available from Personnel Office, The Queen's University of
Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT7 1NN. Tel: (01232) 273044 or
273854 (answering machine). Fax: (01232) 324944 or email:

Committed to an Equal Opportunities policy and selection on
merit, the University welcomes applications from all
sections of the community.

"Ni dheanfaidh smaoineamh an treabhadh duit."
                                -Irish proverb

     _/_/_/_/  _/    _/ _/_/_/   Dr. John A. Berges
    _/    _/  _/    _/ _/    _/  Biology and Biochemistry
   _/    _/  _/    _/ _/_/_/     Queen's University, Belfast
  _/  _/_/  _/    _/ _/    _/    BT9 7BL Northern Ireland
 _/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/       FAX: 44 (0)1232 236 505
        _/

(homepage: http://www.qub.ac.uk/bb/jbpage/jbhome.htm)

listserver list run by [log in to unmask]
You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to
[log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text.
If you have further difficulty please contact the listowner.