Dunaliella from Yucatan Mexico

Daniel Robledo <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:44:23 -0600

Dear Phycologist,

This message is to ask for help and advise to identify Dunaliella species
isolated from an industrial and artisanal saltponds at the Yucatan
peninsula. At the moment we have isolated two strains from different areas:
Las Coloradas (from an industrial salt extraction pond) and San Crisanto
(from an artisanal salt extraction pond). We are doing physiological
comparison of Dunaliella strains in culture. Based on growth rate & carotene
content results (together with other observations) we suspect that we have
more than one Dunaliella species in culture. It seems that Dunaliella from
Las Coloradas is a truly D. salina while the San Crisanto isolate could be a
D. viridis or D. euchlora since it does not turn red at salinities up to 20%
and total carotenoid is half of that found in Las Coloradas isolate.

We would like to corroborate this with a taxonomy expert. On this regard I
dare to ask for your advise in order to locate a Dunaliella taxonomist that
would help us with identification of this samples. Or better, anyone that
will be willing to help in the identification of this isolates please
contact me.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Best regards,

Daniel
Laboratorio de Ficologia
CINVESTAV-Unidad Merida
A.P. 73 Cordemex 97310
Merida Yucatan MEXICO

Tel: + 52 99 81 29 60 ext. 270
Fax: + 52 99 81 29 17

Visit our web page: http://kin/Recursos/Laboratorios/fico.htm

listserver list run by [log in to unmask]
You can remove your name from the ALGAE-L list by sending a message to
[log in to unmask] with the words SIGNOFF ALGAE-L in the text.
If you have further difficulty please contact the listowner.