Subject: Re: Composite Entities?
From: Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 21 Mar 1999 02:58:01 +0000

> Happy Solstice, folks-

Er, equinox? It's 7 weeks after Imbolc and 6 weeks before Bealtaine.

> a (the letter) &#175; (the macron) ` (the grave) --both from ISOdia.pen

Do you have a meaning for ".pen"? (my Acronym Server at
http://www.ucc.ie/acronyms also holds filetypes, and I don't have this
one).

> which, in sanskrit, gives me the long "a" with what is called udaatta
> accent (simplified, the primary of 4 degrees of syllabic stress)- ideas?
> It seems like this should be possible b/c of having separate macron and
> grave entities in the ISOdia.pen set, for instance-- they'd have to usable
> WITH something, it seems to stand to reason.

As far as I know, current practice is to prefix the combined character
with the upper accent as a float, so a macron over an a-grave would be
&macr;&agrave; whereas a grave accent over an a-macron would be
&grave;&amacr;

This may be for processing convenience (eg in TeX systems, where
multiple floating accents are possible). You could ask on TEI-L or
HUMANIST perhaps.

///Peter