Subject: Re: how is "mouses" to be pronounced?
From: Gunnar Swanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 31 Mar 1999 08:28:57 -0700

Reaching into my bag of tricks (or at least my distant memory)--I believe
it was Jinx the cat who hated the "meeces" Pixie and Dixie "to pieces." Tom
and Jerry were Hannah and Barbera's creation from before they went out on
their own. Pixie, Dixie, and Jinx could be seen as a bit of self-plagiarism.

Felix, in the feline multiple lives tradition, was drawn over a period of
many years.

Right-e-o,

Gunnar (who, despite no particular interest in cartoons, has cells signed
to him by Tom & Jerry and Pixie, Dixie, & Jinx.)

>>   In my childhood I seem to recall watching what I think were Hannah &
>>   Barbera(?) cartoons that featured a cat called Felix and two mice - which
>>   the cat referred to as meeces! Perhaps adoption of this differentiation
>>   would resolve the issue. :-)
>
>That would be Tom and Jerry, and he [Tom the cat] would say "I love meeces to
>pieces!" [But now, doubt begins to enter: maybe that quotation comes from
>another cartoon feline, but I can't remember.]
>
>Felix the Cat was a much earlier cartoon, c. the 1930s, and some of them were
>very we-e-eird. Get one at the video store, if you can find 'em, and see what
>extraordinary surrealistic notions captured the imaginations of those early
>animators.
>
>-------------------
>Michael Brady

Gunnar Swanson Design Office