Subject: Re: Opaque/binary/compressed data
From: Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 9 Mar 1999 12:47:02 +0000

David Cattran writes:

> Please excuse my ignorance, but I'm pretty new to the whole XML/SGML
> game.  Is there any provision or is it reasonable to include sections of
> opaque, or binary, or compressed information within an XML document or
> stream?

Raw binary cannot be possible, because it could accidentally contain
a sequence of bytes which formed markup which would make the file
corrupt.

Encoded data of some kind, like Base64 or Uuencode, is possible
provided the encoding mechanism never uses "<" or "&".

> I have a feeling that this might be a big bad no-no, since maybe the
> point of XML is to have everything be in text form?

XML uses Unicode, so "text" does not necessarily mean "ASCII text"
any more.

///Peter