Subject: Re: Stylesheet references
From: "John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 8 Mar 1999 00:16:39 -0500

At 09:49 PM 3/7/99 -0600, JR Gardner wrote:
>I'm figuring at this point i'm crossing out of xml to xsl list issues
>and--if ther eis one--ie5b2 issues.  If anyone knows the forum adresses on
>those, I'll spare this venue further display questions.  However, if ther
>are quick answers to my q . . . I welcome them.

Information on and archives of the XSL mailing list are at:
It's a quite active list, and in my experience people there are quite
willing to help with all kinds of problems and questions. Much of the
discussion there revolves around IE5, so it might be the best source of
help for you.

To my knowledge there's no mailing list specifically on IE5; however, there
is a newsgroup, microsoft.public.xml, which discusses this kind of thing
(as well as other XML topics in general and MS XML technology in specific).

>I tried a .xsl sheet madein arbortext and ie5b2 just supplied the source
>of the .xsl in the browser-- not even the .xml it was attached to.

When you say it was made in ArborText, you mean their XSL Styler tool? If
so, that tool is outdated -- it was IMO pretty good, but it implemented the
XSL proposal, rather than either of the working drafts that have come out
since then. The first WD represented a major change in several respects
from the proposal. In particular, the WD now requires that all XSL
instructions be prefixed with xsl:, indicating that they belong to the XSL
namespage. Elements not so prefixed are assumed to be in the namespace of
the result tree, which I guess is why IE5 is displaying the "source of the
.xsl."

John E. Simpson            | The secret of eternal youth
[log in to unmask]        | is arrested development.
http://www.flixml.org      |  -- Alice Roosevelt Longworth