Subject: Re: XML "WYSIWYG" editor?
From: "DuCharme, Robert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 29 Mar 1999 12:40:25 -0500

My thanks to everyone who has replied.

I was looking for something small and light to combine with other
development into a more complex app, which is why I was looking for an
XML editor. (An MS COM object or JavaBean would be ideal.) We actually
already use FM+SGML for page layout, but this particular authoring
problem requires a light pickup truck, not an 18-wheeled
tractor-trailer.

> > It doesn't have to be free.

I should have mentioned that we'd potentially be using several hundred
copies, so the scale of the price does matter, providing further reasons
to rule out FM+SGML, ADEPT, etc. as authoring environments for this
problem. (I personally live in Emacs+PSGML, but I know this won't work
for the intended audience.)

The classic answer to such software inquiries is "Companies X and Y will
be releasing something that does what you need Real Soon Now!" In this
case, X=Softquad and Y=Corel. I had looked at both web sites before
posting my message. I couldn't find anything about WordPerfect 9 on
Corel's site, but the hearsay about it is interesting. I didn't look
hard enough on Softquad's web site; just now I found more than I had
originally (e.g. http://www.softquad.com/products/xmetal/xm1-intro.html
and two paragraphs near the bottom of
http://www.softquad.com/resources/xml/xmlwhitepaper) xm1-intro.html says
that it will be ready in Q1 1999, which is almost done (depending on
their fiscal calendar, I suppose).

I'll also investigate i4i's S4, a Word add-in, although I'm guessing
that if it was really worthwhile it would be more generally known in the
XML/SGML community.

Bob DuCharme       www.snee.com/bob       <bob@
snee.com>  see www.snee.com/bob/xmlann for "XML:
The Annotated Specification" from Prentice Hall.