Subject: Re: XML and Databases
From: John Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:06:13 -0500

Hi Shane:

You asked:

> ...to update their database? Can't this
> be done with current http conventions?
> Such as http://blah.blah.com/
> cgi/update.cgi?Fname=jason&lname=smith&
> address=15%penny%lane

Example Three included with XMLServlet updates the database.

As for your larger question: how best to update the database values used by
your XML documents, when your database is distributed across locations, and
updates must be synched.

What if you didn't view that as an XML question at all?  Then the question
is: how best to synchronize updates to distributed databases.  A
well-studied question...

You have other choices for carrying your data between databases, right?  XML
would make sense where those databases were dissimilar or incompatible, or
you needed a human-readable exchange between them.  But that's not the case
here, is it?

John Hicks

Cerium Component Software
Build Your Database Website with Our XML Team or Tools
XML Outline | XML DB | XML Servlet
212-662-3982 | 888-742-8989
http://ceriumworks.com
"Software as a conversation with a community."