Subject: Re: special characters
From: Richard Lander <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 25 Mar 1999 10:06:36 -0500

 Why is it that characters such as a grave need to be reprented by character
references? They are part of the ASCII set, are they not? Or is there a
subset of ASCII that is defined as 'main' and the rest as 'others' that need
to be specially represented?

I used UTF-8 encoding because I thought I was doing something wrong. I
started without any encoding but did not get the results I wanted. I tried
UTF-16 too but it didn't work at all because, I assume, my file was not a
UTF-16 file but plain ASCII text.

Thanks,

Richard.