Subject: Re: XML and Databases
From: "Vun Kannon, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:32:09 -0500

        This certainly is possible, but the process is going to be very ad
hoc if all you have is a "well formed" document. If you have a DTD, XSchema,
etc. then you can drive the data model from the DTD.
        Another possibility is to structure the database according to the
very generic schema imputed by the DOM "tree-of-nodes" model. As a matter of
fact, if you have an open content model, it might be necessary to have such
tables handy to store content of whose structure your application is
unaware. It's better than throwing pieces of incoming documents away or
storing them as text blobs.
        Speaking now for the work we're doing at KPMG in this area, we
recommend having an object model which drives the design of the data schema
and the document structure in a consistent way.
Cheers,
David vun Kannon
Manager, Financial Services Consulting
KPMG LLP