Subject: Re: Announced: XML Pilot at the U. of Iowa
From: "John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 22 Mar 1999 22:21:45 -0500

At 02:00 PM 3/22/99 -0600, JR Gardner wrote:
>Many kind thanks to John Simpson and James Tauber for their pointers, as
>well as an idea (from which we derived our xml-as-html serve-up) from
>Peter Flynn some time back.

I can't speak for James and Peter, but you're welcome for whatever I
contributed. ;)

You (or anyone else) should feel free to link to http://www.flixml.org.

>Feedback is welcome.  Remember, we know there are more XML bells and
>whistles than what we've implemented, but we needed to do XML with little
>or no cost to the student and our existing ITS budgets.

As I just mentioned to you off-list, the demo looks good, given the
constraints you chose. As I also mentioned, it might be of interest to
others to see (either here or at the site, or both) what made you choose
(X)HTML as your markup language, rather than developing one with tags from
the user community's "universe of discourse." For example, while you've
added a non-HTML <preface> tag, you've also used the existing <a> tag for
and so on). This is by no means a criticism -- just a matter of curiosity.

FWIW I also checked the front.xml document using Gecko. Some strange things
going on therein -- strange line spacing in the Preface, for example. IE5
displays the first graf of the Preface like this (note double-spacing):

    This "ETD" is designed to teach you how to make use of all the

  tags, along with demo's of some possible layouts (see Chapter 3).  This

  current file, the front matter, is designed so you can use it with your own

  material, by simply replacing the "red" text with your own.

Here's Gecko's version:

    This "ETD" is designed to teach you how to make use of all the
  tags, along with demo's of some possible layouts (see Chapter 3).  This

  current file, the front matter, is designed so you can use it with your own

  material, by simply replacing the "red" text with your own.

The same thing's true for each of the 3 Preface paragraphs -- the first two
lines are single-spaced, the rest (properly) double-spaced.

What would computer life be like without mystery? :)

John E. Simpson            | The secret of eternal youth
[log in to unmask]        | is arrested development.
http://www.flixml.org      |  -- Alice Roosevelt Longworth