Subject: Invalid general entity?
From: "John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 17 Mar 1999 19:23:52 -0500

OK, so I've got an entity declared thusly in the external subset of my DTD:
        <!ENTITY BEE4URL "http://www.flixml.org/flixml/images/bees4_0.gif">

This is to be used as the value of an href attribute to a standard logo
sort of image. A typical use is something like this:
        <bees b-ness="&BEE4URL;"/>

Every validating parser I've tried this with complains loudly that this is
either an undeclared entity or that it contains an invalid name character.
(Presumably these represent the various parsers' different approaches to
announcing the same error, not really different errors.)

Am I being bitten by a no-entities-in-attribute-values beast?

If so, is there another way to achieve the same thing -- to point users of
my DTD to a standard set of logos without requiring that the hrefs be
hard-/hand-coded?

And if so, just out of curiosity, what's the logic behind a prohibition
against entity references in attribute values?

Thanks in advance,
John

John E. Simpson            | The secret of eternal youth
[log in to unmask]        | is arrested development.
http://www.flixml.org      |  -- Alice Roosevelt Longworth