Subject: Re: Creating xml from Microsoft Word
From: Eoin Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:06:09 +0000

There isn't any easy way. If the Word files use a pre-defined
template containing styles, then you could do a simple
style-name to element-name mapping using WordBasic, for example.
We have done it this way. If you are starting out creating
Word files, and want to ensure that they will be easy to
convert, you could try getting your hands on Microsoft
SGML Author for Word v1.2 (I think) which I believe should
help, although I haven't used it myself.

Office 2000, due this month, will save Word files in
a mixture of HTML and XML islands (for meta-data),
and may help, but I haven't seen what it looks like.

--
Eoin Campbell, Technical Director,
XML Workshop Ltd,