Subject: Re: Single-source XML documentation solution
From: Marcus Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 16 Mar 1999 17:00:10 +1100

JR Gardner wrote:

> Several of the Beta-test group met with corel folks at the GCA'98 in
> Chicago, asking for exactly - well, proximally - this.  IN particular,
> DSSSL output would be a minimum, wiht XSL preferred.  Direct relay of
> these wishes to Corel would not be wasted, but I htink it's too late to
> get it into the initial release of WP9.

I'm just trying to get my head around the way an editing application would
deal with the transformation aspects of XSL - could it? If a stylesheet was
provided on import, the data could possibly be transformed, but it would be
confusing if it tried to do anything dynamically as you're creating data. As
for export, WordPerfect could perhaps provide a GUI interface for defining
the transformation, but what advantage would there be to making this part of
the authoring application? The transformation would surely be better served
as a post-process.

Are we to assume that XML editing applications generally aren't going to deal
with the transformation aspects of XSL?

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  [log in to unmask]
       - Einstein