Subject: Re: "- o" syntax
From: Chris Maden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Mar 1999 18:59:07 -0500

[Johnny Lee]
>         I have a quick question.  What does the "-o" signify in an
> element declaration?  I cite an example below from a DTD that I'm
> studying.
>
> <!ELEMENT Table - o (#PCDATA|Request|%Entity1;|%Entity2;|Graphic)*>

It signifies that it's an SGML DTD and not legal XML.  Remove "- o" to
use this DTD with XML.

You'll probably find that all of the element type declarations have
"[-oO] [-oO]" between the type name and the content model.  These are
SGML tag omission parameters; in the example you cite, it means that
in certain contexts the <Table> element may legally omit its end-tag.

Followups are probably best sent to comp.text.sgml, as this has
nothing to do with XML, except as something to avoid.

-Chris