Subject: Re: Help Needed !!
From: "John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 15 Mar 1999 16:34:22 -0500

At 08:10 PM 3/15/99 +0530, raju wrote:
>I had gone through book 'Just XML'. It is really interesting.Currently I'm
>writing an XML Editor using the XML Library provided by Sun. ( Java-X
project.)
>But I'm facing some problems. I will now explain in detail my problem :

        <snip/>

Just to clear the air of some potential confusion, Rajendra did ask me for
help first. I explained that I'm not a Javanoid (as I make no secret of, in
Just XML and elsewhere), and suggested that he post the question on
XML-DEV. He's obviously decided to start here on XML-L first. :)

For the record (and the XML-L archive), here's what I told him in our
e-mail exchange:

>I'm not familiar with Sun's XML library, but I believe that the other
Java-based
>parsers will NOT report all legal values for a given attribute. They simply
>operate as "black boxes," reporting whether whatever attribute is there is
>acceptable or not. (Strictly speaking, this applies only to validating
parsers;
>[non-validating] parsers aren't required to read the DTD at all, so they
may or may
>not even check that much.)
>
>So what do you do? Unfortunately, probably the only thing possible -- at
least for
>now -- is to parse the DTD yourself to extract the ATTLIST declarations
and make them
>available through your editor's UI. (You can ignore the rest of it,
relying on Sun's
>built-in parser to return the other components.) If the source code for
Java-X or
>another Java processor is available, you may (depending on the developer's
licensing)
>even be able to "borrow" that portion of the code which parses the DTD for
ATTLISTs,
>and adapt it to your own needs.

I'd be happy to be disabused of any misconceptions in the above!

John E. Simpson          | It's no disgrace t'be poor,
[log in to unmask]      | but it might as well be.