Subject: Re: Single-source XML documentation solution
From: Peter Flynn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 15 Mar 1999 15:11:18 +0000

Eoin Campbell writes:

> I have downloaded a large number of beta versions of XML
> editors, and they are all awful, IMHO. None seem to consider
> that they are text-editors like MS-Word, but rather data-editors,
> where the content of each XML element is a field to be filled in.

I agree very much with what Eoin says: most of the the current crop of
editors is either abysmally poor or grossly overpriced. I have
published elsewhere my views on how an editor should behave, especially
wrt a stylesheet, so I won't repeat them here. I don't expect them to
be implemented any time soon, if at all, as they would make things far
too easy :-) If I win the Lottery I'll hire some coders and write it
myself.

There is one exception: WordPerfect Suite 8 does very good SGML,
and I have no reason to doubt that Suite 9 will do the same for
XML. This will give you a real fully-fledged SGML/XML editor for
a couple of hundred bucks, which could be used for viewing or
for editing, pretty much as WYSIAYFWG as you want. And it's been
multi-platform for a long time.

///Peter