Subject: Re: XML->XSL->HTML, um... servlet?
From: Chris Maden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:29:06 -0500

[John E. Simpson]
> So I was wondering: Is there a generally-(freely-)available, well,
> *thing* that I can install on my website that would serve up these
> documents on the fly, presenting them to browsers as HTML? I'm
> thinking of a CGI Perl/Python script or, maybe, a servlet? Can XT
> itself be used for this purpose? I'm kind of shooting blind here
> because I don't know enough about Java (especially about configuring
> apps on the server) to even know if "servelet" is the right term,
> but you probably get the idea.
>
> Note: Commercial "XML databases" and other such products are not an
> option.  I'm not a corporation. And I don't operate my own Web
> server, so the less likely the solution is to blow my ISP's mind the
> happier we'll all be. :)

I've deployed two XML Web sites for personal use.  One uses CGI (done
before I mastered XML::Parser), and can be seen at
<URL:http://maden.ne.mediaone.net/cgi-bin/diplo.pl>; it's a Diplomacy
game stored as a single XML document and served dynamically as HTML.
This mandates dynamic processing not so much for single-source
authoring as for the need to provide multiple views of the same data.
(Be gentle; it's only a P5-60.)

The other one is private, so I can't show it to you.  But I keep the
source in XML, and then use a Makefile that updates the HTML if
necessary and then uploads it to the live server.  This means that
yes, I have to keep both XML and HTML around, and remember to update
it, but the Makefile makes maintaining it very easy.

-Chris