Subject: XML->XSL->HTML, um... servlet?
From: "John E. Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Mar 1999 14:13:46 -0500

I've been using XT for some weeks now to generate HTML from XML, passing
the latter through an XSL stylesheet. This works great, and in general I
highly recommend it as an excellent XSL-learning tool. (MSIE5's sometimes
spurious "validity errors" drive me nuts.)

The downside is that I've got to maintain TWO copies of my XML documents:
the raw XML itself, and the HTMLized form. It also means that I can't
simply update the XML document instances and have the changes immediately
reflected in a browser.

So I was wondering: Is there a generally-(freely-)available, well, *thing*
that I can install on my website that would serve up these documents on the
fly, presenting them to browsers as HTML? I'm thinking of a CGI Perl/Python
script or, maybe, a servlet? Can XT itself be used for this purpose? I'm
kind of shooting blind here because I don't know enough about Java
(especially about configuring apps on the server) to even know if
"servelet" is the right term, but you probably get the idea.

Note: Commercial "XML databases" and other such products are not an option.
I'm not a corporation. And I don't operate my own Web server, so the less
likely the solution is to blow my ISP's mind the happier we'll all be. :)

TIA,
John

John E. Simpson          | It's no disgrace t'be poor,
[log in to unmask]      | but it might as well be.