Subject: Re: Completeness of XML File Sets
From: Sean Mc Grath <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:54:25 +0000

Here is what I use for high volume XML data management:-

1) "Database" -- Windows NT 4.0 Filesystem. Long filenames used containing
index keys.

2) Editing -- Gnu Emacs

3) Change Control -- GNU RCS

4) Quick non-validating parser - James Clarks Expat (C)

5) Validating Parser -- IBM's XML4J (Java)

4) Batch processing -- Python with the XML package

5) "Projects" -- XML files that reference other XML files.

At 01:08 AM 3/1/99 -0600, you wrote:
>THere seem to be some very high-end programs which manage a group or large
>volume of XML instances.  What I'm interested to find is something which
>in a very simple manner, assures that the files images or other media
>referenced by xml instances of a given dtd in--say one directory--are all
>present (leaving well-formedness/validity to a sep. testing routine).  In
>other words, something like the traditional html "site-mapper" utility,
>but bare-bones-style, for simple sweeping checks of directories which read
>links and image/media calls within just one directory.
>John Robert Gardner
>Obermann Center         &    The Graduate College
>  for Advanced Studies
>               The University of Iowa
>"It is ludicrous to consider language as anything
> other than that of which it is the transformation"
>                                  - So'ham asmi
<Sean uri=""/>