Re: Shameless plug: "XML: The Annotated Specifications"

Steven Champeon <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:59:27 -0500

TEXT/PLAIN

On Wed, 10 Mar 1999, Ladson, Richard O. wrote:
> The following produced a black hello (should be red)
> <!--hello.css-->
> GREETING {display:block;font-family:Arial;font-size:15pt;color:red;}
>
> The above worked OK with the first line removed.
>
> Oh, I get it, comments cannot occur before certain elements in both XML and
> CSS. Not particularily user-friendly, but presumably it makes it easier for
> the computer. Score; computer 1, man 0.

CSS uses /* C style comments */:

 http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS1#comments

HTML uses <!-- SGML-style comments -->, which you can use to surround the
CSS stylesheet definitions like so:

<!-- hide from brain-dead browsers
P { color: green; }
-->

Perhaps that is the source of your confusion, if I may make such a comment.

:^)
Steve

--
http://hesketh.com/schampeo/ <-- projects and info