Subject: Re: Phoenician alphabet + smelly stuff
From: Kate Gladstone & Andrew Haber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Fri, 12 Mar 1999 00:21:10 -0400

I certainly agree that it would help a great deal if we had a sensible
system. I have enver denied this

The point that I was trying to make was simply that a system exists that is
*learnable* -- I was NOT claiming that this system is *easily* learnable,
or that it is a *good* system to learn.

I suppose I feel the need to point out that there *is* a system

(however screwed-up it has admittedly become by now, after about a thousand
years of _ad_hoc_ "software-patches")

because my present husband -- for many years until past age 40 -- literally
believed that there *was* no system in English even for regularly-spelled
words (cat/bat/mat, etc.) -- it was entire (and, at first, entirely
unbelievable) news to him that the spelling of *any* word had *anything*
whatsoever to do with its sound.

Yours for better letters,
Kate Gladstone - Handwriting Repair
325 South Manning Boulevard