Help for OLD-IRISH-L Archives

OLD-IRISH-L Archives

Subject: Re: Belach Da/ Bend
From: "maher, johnpeter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 23 Mar 1999 10:02:22 -0600

Dear Deborah White

a point:

"ya dig" not restricted to Black America, right, but I feel it entered White
slang in the jazz milieu. My generation: I was baby brother to six kids who
grooved in Big Band days. I'll scrounge around in texts, films of that era...

By the way, have you seen the movie "The Eagle Hs Landed"? WWII/WSC and all that
jazz. The "IRA man" who is collaborating with the Germans declines, at the
climax of the film, to escape with Michael Caine to Germany.  Irish audiences
would die laughing to hear the  misuse the periphrasis "after ...-ing". Not
understanding that it's a near-past, we hear his ntention: "I'm after stayin'
here".

peter