Help for GAIDHLIG-B Archives

GAIDHLIG-B Archives

Subject: Re: Stronmelochan?
From: Reamonn MacIain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 14 Mar 1999 12:13:04 +0000

Tha 'Stronmelochan' air dealbh du\thcha Albann, eadar Loch Awe agus Tyndrum.
-----
Known as Loch Obha and Taigh an Droma in Scottish. I suggest the me is a misreading (probably by the dreaded Ordinance Survey who bastardize names everywhere) of Ne. ALternatively there is the word meallachan- meaning hilly lumps- so it may have nothing to do with the loch after all (except the sron might be a promontory).